The 1920s were absolutely roaring at Fairplex - the inaugural L.A. County Fair debuted with 100,000 in attendance and C.B. Afflerbaugh was named first paid manager.
1922 - First L.A. County Fair held - five successful days, Oct. 17 - Oct. 21, at a cost of $63,000.
1924 - C.B. Afflerbaugh become the Fair's first paid
Manager, a post he held until 1960. Home Arts building
Was constructed and fine arts shared the exhibit hall.
1925 - Fair attendance topped the 100,000 mark for the first time and it became a September affair.
1930s saw growth, legalized pari-mutuel wagering, WPA buildings and touched by a depression.
1930 – The largest exhibit building in the world was completed at a cost of $250,000 (Fairplex 4).
1931 – The Depression touched Pomona as it did the nation and attendance saw a drop.
1933 – Pari-mutuel wagering was legalized in California and the Fair meeting became the first in Southern California to allow fans to bet on horse racing.
1937 – The government’s Works Progress Administration added construction of various buildings – the fine arts building, a new administration building, Fairplex 5 & 6, a cafeteria (Anthony’s, later Avalon).
1940s brought reorganization, World War II and reopening of the Fair in 1948.
1940 – The Los Angeles County Corporation was reorganized as the Los Angeles County Fair Association.
1941 – Jut three days after the close of the Fair, the huge agricultural building was gutted by fire. On Dec. 14, just a week after Pearl Harbor, three U.S. Army regiments occupied the grounds as first units arriving for war duty.
1942 – 1947 Grounds were used by the Army in various capacities.
1948 – The Fair reopened and Thummer was introduced as official Fair mascot. Attendance topped the one million mark for the first time. Fairplex 4, the agricultural pavilion replaced the burned structure at a cost of $750,000.
1949 – Ganesha Boulevard was constructed. The Fair Association purchased 72 acres for parking lots, extending the total property to more than 400 acres.
1950s celebrated construction of landmarks Flower & Garden Pavilion, Clock Tower and Mexican Village and NHRA raced.
1950 – the carnival was moved to its present location and a 40–foot–high arch with neon letters formed the entrance to the fun zone.
1952 – The flower and garden pavilion, Clock Tower and Mexican Village, now known as Plaza de las Américas were constructed.
1953 – The NHRA held its first sanctioned event at Pomona Raceway.
1959 –A tunnel connecting the grounds with the 10,000–car parking lot opposite White Avenue was completed under White Avenue.
1960s brought a new general manager and a monorail for aerial viewing of the grounds.
The ‘60s saw Phil Shepherd at the helm, NHRA’s first race, and a new monorail.
Phil D. Shepherd took over as general manager following the death of Afflerbaugh.
1961 – NHRA held its inaugural Winternationals before the largest single-day audience in the brief history of auto racing.
1962 – A mile–long monorail circling the core of the grounds began operation. Storybook Farm, now known as California’s Heritage Square, was added.
1966 – California Governor Pat Brown and Republication gubernatorial candidate Ronald Reagan both visited the 1966 Fair.
1970s introduced the Fair’s third Fair manager in its history.
1978 – Phil Shepherd retired as general manager and was succeeded by Ralph Hinds.
1979-30,000 gallons of paint applied to buildings and fixtures. Seating was increased, clubhouse dining facilities were improved & expanded and nightly grandstand entertainment planned.
1980s saw growth, development and expansion.
1980 – The one-of–a kind Child Development Center opened. It is recognized as one of the top facilities of its kind in the state of California.
1983 – Ralph Hinds was appointed president and chief executive officer.
1984 – Fairplex 4 reopened after a major renovation to bring year-round business to the grounds. The name of the fairgrounds was changed to Fairplex to encourage year-round use as a show and exposition complex.
1985 – The racetrack’s half-mile track was expanded to 5/8th mile and a single–day record attendance of 177,612 was recorded Sept. 21.
1986 – Racetrack grandstand and clubhouse facilities were renovated and the track was renamed Fairplex Park. A 184-space recreational vehicle park opened on White Avenue.
1988 – Satellite wagering was offered at Fairplex Park.
1989 – A $27 million bond issued marked a year of major development at Fairplex.
1990s welcomed a Child Development Center, equine center and on-site Sheraton hotel.
1990 – Barretts Equine Sales Ltd. Opened with its first thoroughbred sale. The sales pavilion was named Hinds Pavilion.
1991 – The Child Development Center merged with ULV and underwent more than $1 million in renovations following a grant from the County of Los Angeles.
1992 – The Sheraton Suites Fairplex hotel opened in June.
1994 – Ralph Hinds died July 30.
1995 – James Henwood named president and chief executive officer.
1996 – 90–foot high Fairplex electronic freeway sign was erected along 10 freeway.
1998 – NHRA Motorsports Museum opened. RV Park became a KOA campground affiliate.
1999 – Fairplex established three 501(c) (3) non-profit organizations.
2000s continued with new businesses, improved facilities and aggressive year-round programming.
2000 – Red & Yellow Gates were reconfigured for one new entrance at Yellow Gate. Republican presidential candidate George W. Bush cut the opening day ribbon.
2001 – The Fair closed for the first time since WWII when on Sept. 11 terrorists attacked the United States.
2002 – Fairplex Equine Sales LLC purchased the general partner interest in Barretts Equine Ltd. from Barretts Equine Sales.
2003 – CDC expanded and added another classroom serving 175 children. NHRA Motorsports Museum renamed Wally Parks NHRA Motorsports Museum. Fairplex 8A was demolished to make room for the trade and conference center. Parcels were redefined and the Fair acreage recalculated to 543 acres.
2004 – Cornucopia Foods LLC was formed. Anthony’s at the Fair was renovated and renamed Avalon. Tapestry of Tradition moved to the ground floor of the grandstand and America's Kids relocated to Fairplex 22. Junior Fair Board established.
2005 – Fair was 18 days, Mondays and Tuesdays closed.
Horse racing went to 16 days with Tuesdays dark.
2006 – Fairplex 8 underwent extensive renovation and eight luxury skyboxes were built at Pomona Raceway (Auto Club Raceway at Pomona).
2007 – Fine Arts Gallery renamed Millard Sheets Center for the Arts at Fairplex; Wines of the World renamed Los Angeles International Wine & Spirits Competition.
2008 – Child Development Center began expansion for two new classrooms and 24 additional youngsters.
2009 - The 2009 Fair added five days and for the first time opened Labor Day weekend; Finish Line Sports Grill provided a destination and satellite wagering facility.